Position: Tourism Research Interviewer (Temporary Positions)
Employment Term: May 1 to May 31, July 16 to August 13, October 1 to October 31
Wage: starting $12 per hour (plus 4% vacation); 30 to 40 hours per week
Location: Richmond Area
As a tourism research interviewer, you will:
- Effectively approach and recruit visitors for participation in the research project;
- Conduct face-to-face interviews at different locations, including:
- Various hotels in Richmond
- Steveston area and businesses in Steveston
- Summer Night Market & Richmond Night Market
- Shopping Centres
- Locations for sports events
- Other major visitor attractions in Richmond
- Use iPad mini to collect data during the interviews;
- Perform other survey administration duties;
- Work effectively with another tourism researcher under the supervision of the Operations Manager;
- Provide regular updates (including descriptive data) about the progress of the survey;
- Evaluate field methods and make recommendations about the visitor survey;
- Agree to follow the Professional Guidelines for Researchers to ensure collection of high quality visitor data.
Candidates will have an opportunity to learn about research study design, survey coordination, and accurate data collection and entry techniques.
- Completion of high school and currently enrolled at a post-secondary institution (preferred);
- Knowledge of research and statistical methodologies;
- Good computer skills including working knowledge of internet and email, knowledge of palm-pilot technology an asset;
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills;
- Able to communicate in Mandarin or/and Cantonese is an asset;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player;
- Enthusiastic, personable and approachable;
- Available for the duration of the employment term and able to attend a two-day training session prior to the start of the research filed season;
- Willing to work a varied schedule that will include work on weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays.
Hours to be Committed:
- A minimum of 20 hours per work week; hours will vary across the week.
Please send your cover letter and resume to Carol Yeh via firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Position: Visitor Information Counsellor (Seasonal Positions)
Employment Term: This is a full-time summer student position (30 to 40 hours/wk dependent upon funding) that requires applicants to be attending a Post-Secondary school on a full-time basis and who will be returning to full-time studies in the fall of 2017. Students must be available from mid-May until the end of August.
Location: Tourism Richmond Visitor Centre, 3811 Moncton Street
Tourism Richmond is looking for passionate service-oriented post-secondary students to welcome visitors to Richmond, assist with travel inquiries, directions, accommodation bookings and promotion of member services and products at their Visitor Information Centre.
- A friendly, outgoing nature; flexible to changes
- Exceptional knowledge of Richmond and British Columbia
- Excellent communication skills and strong customer service skills
- Strong sales skills and ability to meet sales targets
- Fluent in English (a second language is an asset, especially French).
- Strong organizational skills, adaptable and a fast learner.
- Ability to interact and work well with people from other cultures
- Outgoing with ability to approach visitors in the field and engage them in conversation
- Current computer skills including email, internet and Excel knowledge are essential
- This position includes work on weekends and public holidays
Key Activities and Duties:
- Promotion of Richmond accommodations, activities and attractions to visitors
- Encourage our visitors to stay longer
- Customer service, team work, accurate record keeping, facility management, cash handling and balancing; tourism research; corporate communications (telephones, email, website updating); inventory control of collateral
- Actively “sell” Richmond member and retail products to attain sales targets
- Additional administrative and functional requirements as they arise
- Improve your communication and presentation skills
- Share your pride in Richmond with visitors from around the world
- Meet new people and work with other dedicated tourism professionals
- Complimentary passes & familiarization tours to member businesses
Please send your cover letter and resume to Lori Gelz via email@example.com by April 8, 2017. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Looking for tourism jobs in BC? Check out the job board on go2hr.com.