Tourism Richmond is working hard behind the scenes to ensure the tourism and hospitality sectors in Richmond are set up for success as travel restrictions gradually lift. As the city’s destination marketing organization, Tourism Richmond’s mandate hasn’t changed: to enhance awareness of our destination through sales and marketing initiatives, and to increase tourism-related economic activity for our city and stakeholders.
What has changed, however, is our approach to marketing campaigns for 2020. For the remainder of the year, we’re shifting our focus to engage with Richmond residents, Metro Vancouver residents and when the time is right, all British Columbians. Our campaigns will take a measured approach and our messaging will progress over time, informed and shaped by the Province’s phased approach, as well as our own travel sentiment research.
As such, Tourism Richmond has developed several key initiatives which will be rolled out over the next several weeks. We have summarized each below.
Mystery Towns Presents: Steveston Maritime Mystery
Now available to purchase! Details here.
Can you solve a cryptic poem and a strange combination of numbers to save Steveston’s fishing industry?
Mystery Towns has put together a socially distanced local adventure for groups of 1 to 4 players to solve the mystery threat to Steveston’s fishing industry. Unlock the adventure by finding clues around the streets and pathways of Steveston Village – and find hidden secrets and learn fascinating facts along the way. Learn more about the Steveston Maritime Mystery at the link.
- Cost: $39 per team (max 4 people per team)
- Start location: Steveston Village
- Start time: Flexible – start at your leisure! Just finish before dark.
- Walking distance: 15km on flat streets and trails
- Other notes:
- This adventure is suitable for families. Please ensure everybody adheres to physical distancing regulations.
- Each group MUST have one or two fully-charged smartphones with internet access to complete the Steveston Maritime Mystery
Pacific. Authentic. Locals.
Think you know Richmond well enough? The Pacific. Authentic. Locals program launches with two fun and engaging knowledge tests covering Richmond as an international travel destination and the value of tourism to the city. The program will continue to expand to include more activities to engage residents.
Test your Richmond knowledge online with these two tests: Value of Tourism and Richmond as a Destination. Participants will receive an official ambassador certificate for each test they pass and those who pass both tests will be entered into a draw to win the ultimate Richmond Ambassador Prize consisting of:
- 1x Pacific. Authentic. Richmond BC swag bag
- 2x adult tickets for a whale watching tour with Vancouver Whale Watch
- Entry into the Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site
- 1x $50 gift card for McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Vancouver Airport
Pacific. Authentic. Richmond BC brand/restart campaign
Launch date: July 2020
Tourism Richmond will be launching a campaign to engage and inspire Metro Vancouver and BC residents to visit Richmond this summer and fall. This campaign will leverage our “Pacific. Authentic. Richmond BC” brand to bring to life what makes Richmond unique from other BC destinations. It will be supported by a targeted media campaign that includes print, out of home, TV, and digital advertising.
Overnight Booking Campaign
Launch date: July 1, 2020 (tentative)
Tourism Richmond will be supporting our hotel partners with an overnight booking campaign, launching in early July. This campaign is intended to encourage British Columbians, with a focus on Metro Vancouver, to book a staycation – and reward them for doing so.
For those booking hotel rooms in Richmond, they’ll receive up to $325 in American Express gift cards, dependent on how long their stay in Richmond is. This offer will be available on VisitRichmondBC.com and advertised on targeted digital channels such as Travelzoo.
Partnerships with Metro Vancouver Destinations
Launch date: Mid-July 2020
As a city located at the mouth of the Fraser River, we felt it made sense to partner with other cities who shared the river. As such, we’ve partnered with Tourism Burnaby, Tourism Langley, Tourism Abbotsford, and Tourism Chilliwack to pool our resources together and execute a high-impact campaign with Daily Hive Vancouver. This campaign aims to encourage locals in each respective community to explore the world within the 100km radius, and to provide tourism and hospitality businesses a kick start to their summer season. Keep an eye out for this campaign!
Pacific. Authentic. Discovery Passport
Launch date: July 6, 2020
This summer, Tourism Richmond will be launching a mobile-exclusive web app, Pacific. Authentic. Discovery Passport to locals and visitors to incentivize them to stay, shop, dine and experience all the great things to do in Richmond. Passport holders will receive discounts and special offers from participating Richmond restaurants, shops and attractions. Plus, they’ll have a chance to win one of three prizes* by redeeming offers and collecting check-ins to various merchants over the summer:
- Redeem 5 offers and/or check-ins and receive an entry into a draw for the Pacific Authentic Richmond BC goodie bag
- Redeem 10 offers and/or check-ins and receive an entry into a draw for the Shop and Dine in Richmond prize, including a $100 McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Gift Card and a $100 restaurant gift card
- Redeem 15 offers and/or check-ins and receive an entry into a draw for The Ultimate Richmond Staycation, including a one-night stay at a Richmond hotel, two whale watching tickets with Vancouver Whale Watch, restaurant and shopping gift cards, plus much more (max value $800)
*Terms and conditions apply