Tourism Richmond is committed to providing our stakeholders reliable, accurate and timely information relating to the ever-changing novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in our community. We are working closely with our tourism counterparts in Metro Vancouver and at every level of government. We would like to take this opportunity to provide you with an update on the work we’re doing on your behalf.
TOURISM RICHMOND UPDATE
Take advantage of the valuable resources available to you, anytime! We have curated a list of online resources that will help you acquire more skills and gain a competitive edge in our industry in every topic from digital marketing, travel & trade media, social media marketing and more. Start learning today!
OPEN FOR BUSINESS
Our Open for Business page featuring Richmond stakeholders is now live! If your business is still open for business - either in person or online - please take a moment to update your listing and let us know what your services are!
BC CHAMBER OF COMMERCE PULSE CHECK SURVEY
Two weeks ago, the BC Chamber of Commerce began conducting 'pulse check' surveys on BCMindreader.com to find out how businesses are faring in the age of COVID-19, and how your needs are evolving. This information will inform ongoing recommendations to government and, perhaps more importantly, help track the efficacy of government programs and initiatives as they roll out.
Please copy and paste this link to participate in the survey:
If you are having issues accessing the survey, please let us know.
GOOD NEWS IN RICHMOND
We've been making a point to end every week on a positive note, highlighting the feel-good stories of Richmond businesses going above and beyond. Here are some great examples:
- The Dolar Shop is now offering free lunch meals for frontline staff between 2:30pm and 3:30pm from Monday to Sundays. More info here.
- Goodbowl is currently running a frontline workers donation campaign! For $10, Goodbowl will provide a Regular Goodbowl + Fresh Made Energy Bite for hospital staff, first responders, pharmacy and grocery store staff. Order through the Goodbowl app, or call them at 604-244-0766.
- Fairmont Vancouver Airport is spreading hope, positivity and love to guests, neighbours and the community by lighting up their windows at night with a heart to show support.
- Fortune Terrace Chinese Cuisine, Dinesty Dumpling House, Gram Cafe, Hotpot Palace, Jianghu Taiwanese Pots & Wok Cuisines and many other Richmond restaurants are donating meals to front line medical workers as part of the Chopsticks to Health Care Heroes campaign. Learn more about the campaign and how you can participate here.
- Everglade Development, a Richmond real estate company, donated $15,000 to start a fundraising campaign for the Richmond Hospital Foundation's COVID-19 fund to ensure Richmond Hospital and its healthcare workers have the equipment they need. For details and to contribute, click here.
We'd love to hear from more Richmond businesses, so please get in touch to let us know what you're doing!
CITY OF RICHMOND UPDATES
RICHMOND FOOD RECOVERY NETWORK
The City of Richmond’s Economic Development Office is inviting local businesses to contribute to the Richmond Food Recovery Network and donate surplus food to help those in need. Learn more about the information on the network and the April foodshare pledge goal.
REQUEST FROM THE RICHMOND CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The Richmond Chamber of Commerce is asking all businesses to participate in a national survey to measure the impact of COVID-19 on Canadian businesses, created by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and Statistics Canada. Just a few minutes of your time can help the government understand what you’re going through and what support you need. Take the survey now.
DESTINATION BRITISH COLUMBIA UPDATE
VIRTUAL EXPERIENCES: BEST PRACTICES
If you're looking for a new way to engage your social audience, read through Destination BC's Virtual Experiences Best Practices Guide! Virtual experiences don't need to be fancy, nor do they require a large budget. All they require is a bit of creativity on your part, access to the internet, a video camera (i.e. your phone), and a few minutes of your time. Read the guide here!
TOP 5 RESOURCES FOR TOURISM BUSINESSES DURING COVID-19
With many new resources becoming available every week, it's hard to know where to start. That's why Destination British Columbia created a simple, one-page guide of the top five resources for tourism businesses to start with now. Read the guide here.
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA UPDATE
In an emergency call of the House of Commons on Saturday, April 11th, legislation was passed to officially enact the $73 billion Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS):
- Eligible employers will be able to apply for the CEWS through the Canada Revenue Agency’s My Business Account portal. More details about the application process will be forthcoming.
- For employers eligible for both the CEWS and the 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy, any benefit from the Temporary 10% Wage Subsidy for remuneration paid in a specific period will generally reduce the amount available to be claimed under the CEWS in that same period.
Click here to learn more about the wage subsidy program.
GOVERNMENT OF BC UPDATE
LAUNCH OF THE COVID-19 SUPPLY HUB
Help is urgently needed to supply medical products and services to help with BC’s COVID-19 response. If you are a business that can help provide supplies, there is a new Supply Hub that is helping to fast-track essential supplies to our frontline health workers. Register on the Supply Hub here.
PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT PARTNERS WITH BC'S ACCOMMODATION SECTOR
Last week, the BC government announced hotels and other types of accommodation are deemed essential services. To support safe operation and prevent virus transmission, the Province partnered with the BC Centre for Disease Control to produce the COVID-19 Guidance to the Hotel Sector.
A new partnership with BC’s hotel sector was also formed last week to support vulnerable British Columbians who need a place to self-isolate, to reduce the spread of COVID-19. So far, the Province has secured more than 900 spaces, at 23 sites including hotels, motels and community centres throughout BC, but more is needed.
If you are interested and available to support at this time, please email the BC Hotel Association at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Property Name
- General Manager
- How many rooms you have available, including the number of rooms with:
- Restaurant on site or close by for takeout (yes/no)
- COVID-19 Room Rate
SMALL BUSINESS BC TO HOST DIGITAL MEET-UPS
Small Business BC is hosting Digital Meet-Ups where you can connect with various subject matter experts and other small businesses. They run regularly on Mondays to Thursdays at 11:00am and each video conference focuses on an issue related to COVID-19. Register here.
CANADA TAKEOUT DAY
Wednesday April 15 marks the first Canada #TakeoutDay, where Canadians are being encouraged to support local restaurants and order take-out or delivery. Organized by Restaurants Canada, this is one way to show support for your favourite local restaurant. Let's make Wednesdays #TakeoutDay!
ADOPT MY SHOP: BUY, EAT, AND NOMINATE
Daily Hive, West Coast Technology Innovation Foundation and the IT in Canada collective have joined forces to create a digital platform called Adopt my Shop, to help Canadians support small businesses from coast-to-coast. Adopt my Shop connects Canadians directly with their community small businesses, where they can purchase a gift card for use, shop online, and order takeout or delivery. More importantly, they can nominate their favourite spots to be included and further profiled on Daily Hive. Learn more at the link!
GET LISTED IN NOMS MAGAZINE
Noms Magazine is a Vancouver based online food and lifestyle publication. In response to the coronavirus pandemic, they are creating a new information hub which will include a map of restaurants and cafes that are able to still operate. Businesses are encouraged to fill out a short form indicating operating hours and details on how Vancouverites can support your business like purchasing gift cards, take-out, or meal kits. Click here to register your business today.
For the most up-to-date and accurate information about COVID-19 and other business resources, please visit these sites:
- Tourism Richmond’s COVID-19 Updates & Resources22
- Richmond Chamber of Commerce's COVID-19 Business Resources
- Small Business BC COVID-19 Supports
- Business in Richmond COVID-19 Resources22
- Destination British Columbia – Coronavirus Update
- Tourism Industry Association of BC - COVID-19 Updates
- Government of Canada virus update
- Vancouver Coastal Health – Coronavirus Update
- BC CDC Coronavirus Update