Update: the Kwantlen St. Farmers Market season has been extended to December 15, 2020!
There’s nothing better than snagging some fresh produce, baked goods, and other items from local producers—and the Kwantlen St. Farmers Market is one of the best places to do just that.
The Kwantlen Student Association teamed up with Farm Fresh Events on this annual farmer’s market that runs every Tuesday from 12:00pm to 4:00pm at Brighouse Park until December 15, 2020. They’ve moved their location from Minoru Plaza to this larger space to better accommodate their safety and physical distancing plans. Read on for details!
Luscious fresh greens at the Sustainable Agriculture Program stand. | Photo: John Lee
You’ll find a rotating array of vendors at the Kwantlen St. Farmers Market. On any given Tuesday, you’ll find vendors selling local meats and cheeses, eggs, Okanagan and Fraser Valley fruits, and a wide array of local seasonal vegetables, honey and preserves, a selection of gluten free, international and artisanal baked goods, and so much more.
One vendor you’ll always find at this farmer’s market is Kwantlen Polytechnic University Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems, manned by Kwantlen students that grow and harvest their own produce that is then sold at the market. As the season progresses, the produce offers change, depending on what’s in season. You’ll also find other repeat vendors at the market, such as Rockweld Farms Chicken & Eggs, BC Buzz Honey, Golden Ears Cheesecrafters, and Osoyoos Fruit King.
Since the vendor lineup changes week to week, the best way to stay up to date on what’s available at the market is to keep an eye on their Facebook page, where they announce the vendor lineup a week ahead of time so you can plan your visit.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
Safety is always top of mind for the organizers and vendors, and the Kwantlen St. Farmers Market organizers have definitely stepped up to the plate with their updated safety plan. Here are some of their top tips for visitors:
- Wash your hands! The organizers have installed multiple hand washing stations for visitors to use as needed—please wash your hands regularly if you’re handling any of the items at the farmer’s market.
- Use contactless payment. The organizers encourage visitors to use contactless payment instead of cash for purchases (so there’s no need to bring cash to this market).
- Only send one member of your family. Although the market has moved to a larger space, organizers have encouraged folks to send just one person to the market to help accommodate the physical distancing measures put in place.
- While wearing a mask is not mandatory, it is encouraged.
- Organizers suggest visitors come a little past 12:30pm to avoid lineups, although they do move quickly. And, if you’re the type to not like lineups at all, they’ve reported having zero lineups at around 2:00pm.
LOCATION & PARKING
The Kwantlen St. Farmers Market is located at Brighouse Park, and runs on Tuesdays from noon – 4:00pm until December 15, 2020.
The nearest Canada Line station is Richmond-Brighouse. From there, cross the road, head through CF Richmond Centre (exit by Minoru Boulevard), and head south along Minoru Boulevard. You’ll find the market set up just on the corner of Granville Avenue and Minoru Boulevard. Alternatively, transit bus 406 stops nearby.
One hour of free parking in the adjacent lots is available—just be sure to pick up a pass at the entrance to the market.
Last Updated on November 5, 2022 by Tourism Richmond