The rules for entry into Canada vary from country to country. Make sure you are aware of the travel documents you will need prior to arriving!


Visas are not required for U.S. citizens visiting Canada. You must show proof of your U.S. citizenship upon arrival – a passport is recommended. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, you must show proof of your citizenship as well as your U.S. Permanent Resident Card.  

If you’re a NEXUS program member, you can present your NEXUS card as proof of identification and as a document denoting citizenship, when arriving by air, land or marine vessel. U.S. citizens who are members of the FAST program can use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land or marine modes only.

Note that passports are recommended for all modes of entry into Canada and may be required by your transportation provider. For more information, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.


All international travellers must carry a valid passport and (where required) a valid visa for entry into Canada. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to see what specific travel documents you will need.  

If you are a visa-exempt foreign national or a U.S. permanent resident and you are flying into Canada, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with valid Canadian visas. You are advised to apply for your eTA before booking your flight – it typically takes just a few minutes. If you are arriving by land or sea, you do not need an eTA.

Travelling to Canada with minors?

Scroll to the bottom of this Canada Border Services Agency website page for specific advice and information.


Planning to travel with your pet? Under the National Animal Health Program, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) establishes requirements for all animals entering Canada. Click here for details.