View industry insights and learn more about Richmond’s growing tourism sector. Check back periodically throughout the year for new content from Tourism Richmond.
Economic Impact of Tourism to Richmond
- The Tourism Sector, excluding Vancouver International Airport, directly accounts for an estimated 12% of all jobs in Richmond.
- In 2017, the estimated direct spending of Richmond visitors was $1.78 billion, up from $1.45 billion in 2015.
- Every year Richmond visitors provide over 270 million in federal taxes, 145 million in provincial taxes, and 33 million in municipal taxes.
Sources: Tourism Richmond 2017 Visitor Volume Project, 2016 InterVistas tourism impact survey
Richmond growing as Leisure Destination
- 30% of visitors say Richmond is the primary destination of their trip. Up from 28% in 2015 and 26% in 2013.
- 70% of visitors are in Richmond for leisure purposes. Up from 68% in 2015 and 60% in 2013.
- 41% of Richmond visitors are repeat visitors. Up from 35% in 2015.
Sources: Tourism Richmond 2017/2015/2013 Visitor Volume Project
- In 2017, 3.35 million overnight visitors came to Richmond—the highest overnight visitation in the city’s history. An additional 4.6 million day visitors visited from outside the lower mainland.
- Vancouver International Airport has been rated the best airport in North America for an unprecedented 10 consecutive years.
- There are over 4,500 hotel rooms in Richmond, and the city generally has the highest occupancy rate in Canada.
Sources: Tourism Richmond 2017/2015/2013 Visitor Volume Project, Skytrax World Airport Awards