Participant Guide to the Discovery Passport
What is the Discovery Passport?
After a successful launch last spring with over 800 downloads and over 165 total redemptions, Tourism Richmond will continue to work with Bandwango, a mobile technology platform, to offer the Pacific. Authentic. Discovery Passport to both locals and visitors. For now, we will be targeting local residents in Richmond due to the current Provincial Health Orders and will expand our marketing to domestic visitors in the Lower Mainland when travel restrictions are lifted.
The Pacific. Authentic. Discovery Passport encourages participants to support local businesses by redeeming special offers and discounts. We do not charge any commission or service fees to participate, and will invest in organic and paid marketing campaigns to promote the usage of the Discovery Passport. In addition, Tourism Richmond will also offer prizes to encourage users to visit more businesses.
This is an information hub for interested, and current participants, of the Discovery Passport. Here you will find important updates, information sheets, redemption guides, and frequently asked questions.
Starter Guide to the Discovery Passport
Here are some resources to help you understand how the Discovery Passport works:
- One-pager information sheet: Why you should participate, and how it works for both you and the customer.
- Submit Your Offer: If you haven't already submitted an offer, you can do so here.
- 2021 Discovery Passport: Use firstname.lastname@example.org to preview this year's passport. Please do not share this with any external contacts.
- Discovery Passport Landing Page: Sign up for the passport and go through the download process yourself. Please do not share the password with any external contacts until February 8, or later.
- Customer FAQ: These are frequently asked questions from customers.
- Redemption Instructions: Step by step instructions how to help your customer redeem an offer.
Who is Eligible?
All Tourism Richmond stakeholders are eligible to participate. If you are not a stakeholder, you can click here to apply to become one. Your business must be located in Richmond, and you must be a tourism primary business.
Do I have to pay to participate?
It's free to participate, and we will take care of all the marketing and prize fulfillment.
What do I have to do?
To be included in the Discovery Passport, you must include a special offer (i.e. value-add) or discount. Here are some suggestions:
- Buy One Get One Free
- Free Appetizer with Minimum $50 purchase
- 10% off total purchase
- Free tea with each meal
- 50% off the Sushi Combo A
- $10 Gift Card for Every $100 purchase
Think about your customer: what would make them excited to visit your business? An attractive offer, in the form of a discount or an exclusive promotion, will incentivize people to spend more money.
How does it benefit my business?
The Discovery Passport is a great marketing tool to help you to the following:
- Enhance brand exposure and visibility
- Increase foot and online traffic
- Drive more revenue to your business during the off-season.
The Discovery Passport will be in-market from February 8 to June 30, 2021, with a possible extension into the summer and fall. The deadline to submit an offer to be included in the initial launch is Tuesday, January 26, 2021.
You can always contact us after the launch date to be included into the Discovery Passport.
How does the redemption process work? Why do we need to give a 4-digit PIN?
Here's a 4.5 minute video on how the passport works.
Step by Step Redemption Instructions
The 4-digit PIN is important for several reasons:
- Keeps track of all redemptions for reporting purposes
- Measures how successful your offer is
- Passholders receive one entry per redemption, so it is for their best interest to ask for the 4-digit PIN to register the redemption
Your staff can verbally provide the 4-digit PIN to the customer. The customer can enter the PIN directly into their digital passport on their mobile phone.
How do I know if someone has redeemed the offer, or not?
After a guest redeems an offer from your business by entering the 4-digit PIN (provided verbally by your staff), your offer will be shown as “Redeemed” on their passport and it will be greyed out. See below for an example of an offer that has already been redeemed.
Who can I contact if I have technical issues?
If you or your customers are expecting technical difficulties, please contact Bandwango directly at email@example.com or call 1.888.921.5333 for immediate assistance.
Who should I contact if I have more questions?
For any other questions about the Discovery Passport, please contact either Ceri or Rebecca.
Director, Destination & Industry Development